Saturday, November 18, 2017

What Linus and I Have in Common


At the beginning of the New Year, the Lord told me I would go through catalytic transition. I have never been friends with transition. But when the Lord tells you He will take you through a season of change, you sit down, shut up and hang on.

This prophetic declaration over me brought the usual fear, anxiety and hyper-vigilant attention – which is why I am not friends with transition. Thoughts hopscotched through my head. Was God calling me to leave my job? Was He moving me out of Washington? Was I moving somewhere different?

This faith walk through grief-filled caverns has been one of the most profound transitions on my life. I literally felt weights lift off and light spill in as each chambered twist and turn filled with His light and life. The more He spilled in, the more my creative gifts woke up and the more I shed those nasty grave cloths. I glanced down at the dusty, grimy, grayness of the sack cloth and wondered why, oh why did I think it was better to carry this around with me.

Why are sackcloth and old ways so hard to lay down?

Because they are familiar.

Linus can’t give up his dirty blanket. Addicts can’t let go of their chosen vice. Dogs continue to lay in dirty bedding; they even return to their own vomit. Now there is a visual! All because it is so familiar to them and believe there is nothing better - that it is a permanent part of themselves.

Sometimes ingrained comfort places are like grave clothing. And they must be “put off” so we can be clothed with gladness.

“You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness. To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.

Oh Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.” Psalms 30:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment