Sunday, November 18, 2012

Obedience vs Sacrifice


I have learned much about shedding the carnal nature lately. I liken it to circumcision without numbing medication (not that I've ever been circumcised, but the vivid imagination of a writer fills in the blanks). I have had a face-to-face with my carnal side before. Some meetings were victorious, others, not so much.

Most recently I was challenged by the Holy Spirit to lay down something that I have longed for most of my adult life. I wish I could say I easily shed my wantonness and chose obedience. Victory eventually came, but a sacrifice was involved.

When Abraham trudged up Mt Moriah with his son, they went alone and Isaac carried the wood. The Bible doesn't state, but I imagine Isaac questioned his father and struggled when Abraham slowly tied his hands. He probably pleaded, fought, panicked and even compromised.

The Word also doesn't tell us what was going on in Abraham’s mind, but I can only imagine.

“Lord, do you really mean for me to do this?”

Silence.

“But Lord, I waited so long for Isaac. You promised!”

Silence.

“Lord, if you let him live, I’ll… .”

More silence.

Can you relate?

During this shedding session, I learned many things:

1.    We don’t get to choose what we have to sacrifice. God chooses.
2.    We have to go it alone. Just Him and us.
3.    The thing we must sacrifice will carry its own fuel.
4.    The sacrifice will be something we treasure.
5.    If we are NOT obedient, there will be a sacrifice.
6.    If we ARE obedient, the sacrifice might get up and live.
7.    If required to sacrifice it, there will be great blessings in the aftermath.

Obedience is better than sacrifice…but oh so much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment